Have you ever wondered what ute canopies are constructed from? Or what sort of maintenance is required on ute service bodies? If so, read on to find out.
Ute canopies can be constructed from different materials, including steel and aluminium. However, aluminium is the most popular material used. Aluminium is rust-proof, durable, light, strong, and reasonably priced. One of the perks of a light canopy is that you get to save on costs as the weight is less which means you can transport materials and equipment without making multiple changes based on your vehicle’s suspension.
Materials Used To Construct Ute Canopies
Ute canopies can be constructed from different materials. Knowing your options will help you make an informed decision on which one you should choose. Below are some of the materials used to build typical ute canopies.
- Steel: Steel is a lower-cost option, but it is prone to corrosion. However, you can paint the steel to protect it, but you will need to do this at fairly regular intervals. It is worth mentioning that the scrapes will start rusting should the paint get scraped.
- Canvas: This is the lightest, least expensive option, and it can withstand some rough and tumble. Typically, a steel frame has to be mounted on your vehicle then the canvas will be draped over it. If you are on a budget, this would be a befitting choice. However, it offers no security from the elements and theft and has low refinement levels.
- Aluminium: This is the most popular choice on the market, but can be a tad costly. Although there may be a couple of alternatives to select from, aluminium is a far superior option. You do not need any steel reinforcements when using aluminium.
- Fiberglass and composite materials: Composite materials offer extra strength to canopies without adding to their weight and are generally lighter than aluminium. It is also worth noting that fibreglass is costlier than aluminium.
Canopy Structure And Development Technique
Other than the material, you also need to select the development technique to use and structure. There are two mainstream types of plates you can choose from, and they each have different varieties on the inside. You can choose between a frame or plate-mounted canopy. Luckily, they all have positive features.
Plate-mounted canopies offer more flexibility, and they can be removed and refitted to a different vehicle. On the other hand, frame-mounted canopies do not need a separate plate and are cost-effective.
Caring For Your Ute
Your ute service body requires proper care and maintenance to ensure a longer lifespan and efficiency. Listed below are a few tips on the maintenance required by your ute service body.
- Cleaning: You need to regularly clean the ute’s interior and exterior, especially if you are constantly using it. Regular cleaning keeps things like water, grime, and sand from pilling up and damaging the vehicle’s body and paint.
- Vehicle maintenance: Routine vehicle maintenance and servicing go a long way. This helps you detect any issues your ute may have early on and fix them before they become a major problem. Regular vehicle maintenance also helps you avoid costly repairs in the future.
- Keep it in your garage: Keep your ute in the garage whenever you are not using it. Doing so ensures it says in an excellent working condition for an extended period.
Aluminium is one of the best materials for constructing your desired ute canopy. Our team has several years of experience working with all types of aluminium ute canopies and can customise yours to suit your needs.
For more information and assistance regarding high-quality service bodies, please call us today at MFI Service Bodies on 1300 634 669 or please fill out our enquiry form.